Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Tale of Two Cities

As I lay in my bed for the first time last Saturday in almost two months, I found myself in an odd situation. Something just did not seem to be right. I was in the same house, same bed, same family so what was different? The answer to that question is still unknown but allow me to walk through my hypothesis.

For nearly two months I have been working on making Los Angeles my own. I was making new friends, constantly searching for a place to live and visiting different churches of all types of worship styles. I was finding a roommate and looking for new shops. I was applying for jobs and going on interviews. Simultaneously, however, things were just as progressive back home. Friends moved, my childhood pet died, holidays were celebrated and degrees were earned. Wedding plans were made and dates were set.

Somewhere in my psyche I convinced myself that everything back in Tuscaloosa would be frozen in time while I moved ahead. As I lay there I realized this place was no longer mine, yet Los Angeles was not mine either. I found myself in some kind of limbo, not the game with the broomstick unfortunately, but more of the unknown. I had a Home; it is where the heart is, right? And rest assured, that was in Tuscaloosa! Nonetheless, I have discovered that I am a man stuck between two cities. My home in one but now my life in another. I can only assume that this is what most people will feel at one point in their life; whether it be from going away for college, work, or marriage. It is all just another part of growing up and making your life your own. This perspective just adds to the excitement and anticipation of what is to come! Because of this, clutching to my faith and values is ever more important.

I am writing this the day before I head back to Los Angeles. This time my stay will be for a much longer period of time. I am positive that I will have these feelings all over again when I get to my new apartment. My parents will be helping me move in and I have brought some special things from home. Hopefully, this will potential help bridge the gap between my two cities.

3 comments:

Katie said...

I can't wait to hear more about your exciting transition! God is going to use you in a mighty way, Wes Tate. Love and miss you muchly.

KP

The Burgess Family said...

Such a great reminder that this life and the cities we live in are temporary. Heaven is the home we should truly long for. Wes, I am so proud of you and proud to know you. I hope L.A. Is all you imagined it could be. Love every minute of it!

Sarah

Sarah said...

I like this! I understand--somewhat--about the feeling of belonging to 2 different places. That's how I felt in college and now that I've moved home, I kind of have the same feeling.